Dr. Koen Kok
Koen Kok is a scientific researcher in the interdisciplinary field of intelligent electricity systems, combining electrical engineering and control engineering with computational intelligence.
Koen Kok Career
- Currently, Koen is Senior Scientist Intelligent Electricity Systems at TNO, the largest applied research institute in The Netherlands, and part-time Visiting Researcher at the Center for Electric Power and Energy (CEE) of the Danish Technical University DTU.
- He is strongly involved in the European smart grids research field, working on numerous EU and NL-national projects developing and field deploying smart grid technology.
- In 2013, he received a PhD for his work on The PowerMatcher, an award winning smart grid technology for matching demand and distributed generation on one hand with available renewable power and network capacity on the other.
- Kok has extensive research experience in the fields of market-based control of power systems, smart grid ICT architectures and integration of distributed energy resources and demand response in the electricity system. Key results have been field deployed and commercialized.
- Koen is a sought-after speaker on scientific and industrial forums and teaches a number of selected Smart Grids lectures on request.
- 2006 – 2013 Free University of Amsterdam, Ph.D. in Computer Science
- 1994 – 1998 University of Groningen, Master’s degree in Computer Science
- 1992 – 1993 University of Applied Sciences, Bachelor’s degree in Technical Informatics
- 1987 – 1992 Polytechnic of Alkmaar, Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 2015 Technical University of Denmark, Senior Scientist
- 2011 TNO, Senior Scientist Smart Electricity Grids
- 2014 – 2015, Technical University of Denmark, Visiting Scientist
- 2006 – 2013, Free University Amsterdam, Visiting Researcher
- 2009 – 2011 Energy Research Centre of The Netherlands (ECN), Research Coordinator Smart Grids
- 2005 – 2011 Energy Research Centre of The Netherlands, Senior Researcher
- 1998 – 2011 Energy Research Centre of The Netherlands, Sustainable Energy Scientific Research Engineer
- 1992 – 1992 University of Essex, Visiting Researcher
Specialties: Smart Grids, Intelligent Electricity Systems, Integration of Renewable Energy and Distributed Energy Resources, ICT-architectures, Multi-agent systems, Market-based Control, Business Cases and Market Models for Smart Electricity, Electricity Wholesale Markets, PowerMatcher, Technology Transfer
Links to projects and researches
Research Group :
intelligent electricity systems
IT: Smart Algorithms (HV / MD)
IT: Distributed Service Platform