DID: Domestic Intelligent DC
- looptijd: 2012 - 2016
- locatie: Delft, Zuid-Holland
- functie: Energiebewustzijn verhogen, meer flex
DID Grid: Domestic Intelligent DC Grid
This project enables the implementation of ICT technology in a domestic grid and uses a voltage that can be directly coupled to the DC bus of the latest generation of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
The envisaged domestic and commercial grids of the future, essential for widespread penetration of distributed renewable energy sources and adoption of e-mobility, rely on effective and intelligent information and communication systems.
In this project we opt for using a two wire system that carries both power and information.
The proposed system is based on:
- a 500V DC grid
- typical voltage of the DC/AC converter of the motor drive of battery
- hybrid vehicles thus suited to directly accommodate e-mobility
The DC grid connects:
- renewable energy sources
- the 50Hz ac grid
- vehicles with battery systems
- energy storage elements
- new smart appliances
Overall energy efficiency
The removal of the lossy AC-DC and DC-AC conversion stages present in conventional ac system, will result in a system simplification and an increase in the overall energy efficiency.
- The dc system topology is expected to result in a reduced capacitance of the grid thus allowing for a higher data transfer rates than that of conventional ac power line communication.
- The key benefit is direct accommodation of electric and hybrid vehicles and the exploitation of the grid stabilising potential of e-mobility.
Reliable high speed communication over the high voltage DC line
The main research and technology challenges are to achieve reliable high speed communication over the high voltage DC line, to provide solutions for safety and electromagnetic compatibility issues of the high voltage dc bus in a building environment.
Furthermore, designing an efficient energy management between the sources, storage and loads for having a fully bidirectional power flow capability is another challenge.
20 kW system prototype
The concept will be demonstrated on a 20 kW system prototype. Progress Studies of DC grid architectures with different control methodologies have been done.
- Based on the comparison of the currently available grid architectures, standards and the envisioned DID grid, the DID concept development is being developed.
- The technical specifications being considered for the DID concept development are transient and steady state power cycle matching, and impedances characteristics of DID grid passive components for power line communication application.
- Moreover, the technologies being considered are plug and play, and broad band power line communication in the ranges of 2 to 30 MHz for power flow control and energy management.
Subsidie: NWO SES