prof.dr.ir. (R.P.P.) Rene Smeets
Prof.dr.ir. René Peter Paul Smeets has been employed at KEMA, the Netherlands, since 1995 and currently leads the R&D activities of KEMA’s high-power test laboratory.
René Smeets Career
- Until 1995, he was an assistant professor at Eindhoven University.
- During 1991 he worked with Toshiba Corporation’s Heavy Apparatus Engineering Laboratory in Japan.
- In 1996 he obtained the Hidde-Nijland Award.
- In 2001, he was appointed part-time professor at the Eindhoven University of Technology in the field of high-power switching technology and testing. He is/has been chairman and member of many working groups in the field of research and standardization in power engineering (CIGRE, IEC).
- He is senior member of IEEE and he is chairman of the “Current Zero Club Vacuum Circle”.
- He published over 140 papers on high-power switching and testing in international magazines and on conferences all over the world.
- 1981 Eindhoven University of Technology, Ph.D. in Electrical Power Engineering
- 1995- DNV GL, Service Area Leader – Innovation Manager Testing
- 2013- Xi’an Jiaotong University, Adjunct Professor
- 2001 – 2013 Eindhoven University of Technology, Professor Electrical Engineering
- 1991 – 1991 Toshiba, Senior Specialist
Links to projects and researches
Research Group :
high-power switching technology and testing
System reliability including extreme events